by socialmediawall.io on Sat 22 October 2016
Social media walls are an easy to understand concept that serve multiple use-cases. If you are interested in knowing what are social media walls, how they work and looking for a detailed step by step guide to create one, then you'll definitely want to read on. If you are interested in understanding social media walls and their real life use cases, then check "Introduction to social media wall with real life scenarios".
In this article we'll define what is a social feed, what is a social media wall, present a few examples and finally provide detailed description of steps in creating a social media wall.
What is Social Feed?
Social Feed Examples
A social feed is a constantly updating list of stories from one social network. It includes status updates, photos, videos, links from people. Examples of a social feed are tweets on Twitter with hashtag #barcamp, all the posts from Instagram posted by account @instagram or all updates on FIFA Facebook page.
What is social media wall?
A social media wall consists of two parts
- List of social feeds: It specifies what all content is part of the social media wall. Each social feed is independent. Together, these list of feeds are responsible for adding list of stories from different social networks to a social media wall. This makes a social media wall as an aggregated list of stories from one or more social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc,.
- An administrator of the wall: A person who adds or removes social feeds from the social wall. Administrators are also responsible for configuring how the aggregated posts should be displayed. They also curate unwanted posts from the social media wall.
So a social media wall is a collection of posts aggregated based on social feeds, curated and displayed on a webpage or on any digital signage by an administrator.
Social Media Wall
Let us quickly see some example screenshots of websites using social media walls. These should give you a quick understanding of how they are used. These screenshots are taken on October 22nd, 2016.
Creating social media wall
Let us now go through the steps in creating and managing a social media wall.
1. Add your social accounts to socialmediawall.io account:
Any social media aggregation service has to make certain API calls to different social networks to bring content into single view. Adding social accounts lets such aggregation service to make API calls on behalf of the added accounts. So first step is to add social accounts on behalf of which social media wall platform should talk to social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc,.
2. Choose your social feeds:
Specify what content to aggregate. Social feed, as defined above, can be hashtags, account timeline, etc,.
3. Moderate or Curate posts:
Once content is available, administrator may choose to moderate aggregated posts.
4. Style the display of social wall:
Personalize the social wall display by adding custom background and banner, changing font and their colors and/or changing layout of the wall.
5. Embed social wall widget on your website:
Copy paste the social wall embed widget code inside your webpage HTML body tag. Now, the curated and personalized social media wall should appear on your website.
6. Add team members to manage social wall:
A group of team members can be added to social wall, who can then moderate posts or configure display. For example, scenarios like long running campaigns need someone to curate posts on a regular basis, and a team of people can be added to social wall to let them moderate posts.
Why do you need social media walls?
Numerous websites are already showing social media walls on their websites. Some show it on home page and some other create a dedicated web page just to show a social media wall. Following are main reasons why you may benefit from a social media wall
- Brands reach out to their audience on multiple social networks. Social media walls help brands by showing all of their social activity in a single view and makes it easy for their website visitor to follow brand's updates.
- Social media walls help in reaching audience beyond a single social network and can join updates from multiple networks.
- It can showcase user generated content which acts as one the best marketing strategies in the form of word of mouth referrals
- Makes a website look more dynamic and up-to-date by showing latest social media posts
Check "Introduction to social media wall with real life scenarios" for many more real life use-case scenarios. In the coming blog articles, we will write an article on uses of social media walls at live events. Do let us know if you want us to include any other use of social media walls. We can be reached on Twitter @SM_Wall_IO.